Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Unscented Man

My work husband is scentless. He must not wear any fragrance because I never, ever, ever smell anything from him. We often work right next to each other, he drives me to work and home, so I'm right next to him in the car. An unscented man. Not even sweat or bad breath. One day he picked me up for work, he had been painting the house earlier that morning and still had paint on his hands, even though he had just taken a shower. I didn't even smell soap off him, as I was expecting to smell Irish Spring or Ivory.

He's a bit older than me (13 years) so I imagine him using old school products like Irish Spring, maybe Brut or Enlish Leather, although he's of Italian decent. Perhaps he's got a bottle of Gucci, Krizia or Cerruti stashed for special occasions.

Not that I'm right up against him sniffing around all the time. I get smells from other people, all the time. Maybe not everyone at every moment, but enough of the time. When I used to go to the gym, whenever someone rushed past me causing a breeze I'd hold my breath for a few seconds because I knew the scent of their sweat would soon follow. When I walk through a crowd (at work, for example) I will get whiffs of things here and there, sweat, different perfumes and after-shaves, beer, booze, cigarettes, cigars. Whenever my friend at work moves I can smell Angel-one day I could smell it as I approached the door to our room, and she isn't heavy handed, either. It doesn't smell chocolately on her, it smells very patchouli, I had guessed at being a chypre before she told me. A few years ago a co-worker was extremely ill, she wouldn't see a doctor even though we all persuaded her to. One day I smelled acetone when I went into her section, I thought someone had been doing their nails. No one else could smell it. I recalled my mother's commode when she was ill, it smelled like that when her sugar was out of control. It's the diabetic smell. Anyhoo, when my coworker finally got admitted to a hospital her blood sugar was oh, around 700 and they found spots on her pancreas. From there on it's a long, sad story which I can't get into here.

Back on topic, I don't claim to have a bionic nose or anything. I do think of myself as being fairly sensitive to smells. Tolerant but very aware of smells. My husband has often said that I should work for the state police because I can smell alcohol a mile away.  Even if you've just chomped on mints or still have them in your mouth, I can smell the liquor through it. Do you know how many times I've smelled liquor off people who shouldn't have been drinking or were not in a drinking setting, like a bar? Too many.

Again, back to the unscented man. Really, I don't get any sort of scent from this guy.  I read somewhere that the smell of a man's sweat-it has to be different smelling from your own for you two to be attracted. I am extremely attracted to this guy and he has zero smell, what does that say about me? I must reek or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment