Friday, June 3, 2011

Mitsouko

Lets get right down to business.

Mitsouko. Wasn't exactly love at first sniff for me, but this was very early in my perfume career and I had just gotten the micro mini on the right here based on all the rave reviews. Extrait. Didn't see what all the fuss was about until my third try or so. During that wearing I kept noticing a lovely, delicate sweetness coming from my wrists, hours after application. My husband noticed and commented with approval. All from a few drops! A creamy peach, with a spiciness, notably cloves and cinnamon, on a base of mossiness and amber. The more I sniff and study it, the more I discover and enjoy. Right now, 8 months later, taking a whiff at the back of my hand, I'm smelling a bit of lilac, never noticed that before, and lots of cinnamon this wearing. I swear things smell differently during different times of the month, and my sense of smell seems to be "off" right before my period-sometimes nothing smells good to me then, even my old favorites.

But I digress....after falling in love with my tiny bottle of Mitsouko I decided to get a full bottle. Before the full bottle came into my life every time I was in Saks or Neiman Marcus I'd spray myself with their testers of the pure parfum. Lovely. I got a mini EDT in the current formulation. Not so lovely. It screamed pepper to me, was as sharp as all hell and practically biting to my senses. Got rid of that fast. When I finally got a bottle of the current EDP that also had a pepper note, but no so much as the EDT.  Am I losing my mind with this pepper note? Maybe it's not exactly pepper, but it's a spice note and it's got a zing to it.

The current formulation EDP. I enjoy this, it's a fabulous scent and every time I wear it it makes me feel elegant, even if I'm running around in jeans and sneakers returning my husband's empty beer bottles at the liquior store. Something like that. I've worn it to work and felt like a queen. I do feel like I have a peppery aura around me while wearing, but that's part of it's charm, really, the pepper note is do-able, even likeable in the EDP,  and almost head spinning in the EDT. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I just couldn't stand the EDT.

Is Mitsouko a sexy scent? At first I didn't think so, but now I do. Sexy in a sophisticated way. A confident and mature sexy. Femme Fatale. Seductress. It smells rich and modern, doesn't smell old fashioned to me at all. It's timeless.

And I'd love to be the proud owner of a bottle of extrait. Vintage. Another micro mini will suffice, but a 1/4 ounce or larger would be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment