Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Macy's Pt. II

My real hatred of Macy's was brought on in early November 2010, I had a job interview there. Applying at Macy's consists of filling out an online application and a loooooong questionnaire which makes you jump through hoops, you are asked the same questions over and over. Hello? If I checked off yes on the 1st question that I would report another worker stealing I'm going to check it off again the second time, the clever re-wording didn't fool me. Once the application is completed and sent, you sit and wait for days for an interview, or more of an interview opening. After the 1st interview they might make you go to one or more group interviews and some unpaid training. maybe a group training session,  individual multiple choice tests, a training session involving role-playing scenarios, a night course on customer service, several random drug tests, during this time you have to send them all your records: school, medical, marriage, copies of any and all your library card, undergo a a psych evaluation, a lie detector test, and if after all that if they hire you you go on to get fingerprinted, mug shots, sign waivers and release forms and so on. Ok, I laid that on a little thick....

I figured they'd snatch me right up because I have over 20 years of cash handling experience, plus credit cards, checks, all forms of payments, dealing with unruly people, customer service and so on. They pay MINIMUM WAGE. A very experienced worker for min wage, quite a bargain.

It started off well, the woman who interviewed me said I fit the dress code because I was wearing all black with a grey dress jacket. Not only that I wore my hair pulled back in a chic, tight bun, no flashy earrings or jewelry, my face well made up to look polished and natural, neutral nail polish, no nose ring, the whole shebang. I looked in the mirror that day and nearly didn't recognize myself. Even after I dropped a few hints to my extensive perfume knowledge, and my desire to work the fragrance counter, she told me I wouldn't be at the cosmetics or fragrance counters, I'd be where they needed me. I'd probably get stuck in the men's department, or the lamp department, or stationary. Yawn.

I was ready to accept the men's or lamp departments or whatever miserable place they'd put me because Christmas was coming up and who doesn't need some extra cash during that time? But at the interview I was told that I didn't get the job, they didn't have any openings. They did all their seasonal hiring in August/September. WHAT? Why in hell's name did they interview me knowing there wasn't any openings? I took a double shift off from my regular job to go to that interview, which means I lost over $200 (plus tips) to go to Macy's and be told they were not hiring. I think my not getting hired had something to do with my regular job, and I had first checked off that I wasn't available on Saturdays, but when she said they needed people on Saturdays I said I could take them off from my job and work at Macy's, no problem. They probably thought I was full of shit. Who cares? I didn't get the job and I will not be applying there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment