Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Snow or Lack thereof (Miss Dior Cherie)

I'm not complaining. Not in the least. I hate snow. The only time I want to see snow is on or around Christmas Eve and not much is required for that event, a light dusting will do. I tend to slip and fall in snow, ice, slush and all that, I avoid going out in it. This year has been great! Except for one weekend that I was at work, a co-worker had to help me get to the car because of the ice. Otherwise it's been a fabulous winter. *fingers crossed*

Today it was around 40 degrees. In the cold winter I go for orientals, some of my go-to's are: Shalimar, Habanita, Tom Ford's Black Orchid, Baghari, Diesel's Plus Plus Feminine (the milk bottle one) Kenzo's Jungle Elephant, I even dabble in Angel,  plus Jesus De Pozo's In Black, Burberry Woman, and Guerlain's My Insolence-although the latter three are considered  floral fruity perfumes, they work well in winter for me. It's been so un-winter like this year I haven't used any of them so far.

And now for something completely different: Miss Dior Cherie. Being the sultry 40 degrees or so it was, it felt more appropriate. Yes I finally got my hands on the coveted 2005 version in the form of  several carded manufacturer's samples. They have the photo of Riley Keough,  Elvis' granddaughter on the card so it's the right one. (Why is it that whenever I get samples or just a small amount of a perfume to try I wind up loving it and wanting a full bottle?This won't be easy.)

Anyhoo, nearly 10 hours later I'm still smelling strawberries. And a bit of everything else, notably saltiness. At first spritz this is tingly, tantalizing and aggressive. All that fruit and salt grabs your attention and demands more, more wrist sniffing. The saltiness (presumably the popcorn note) smells like the beach minus the pina coladas, at least the coconut ingredient, the pineapples are included. The salt with musk and patchouli later on mixed smells like skin bathed in ocean water, which I love the smell of. I don't really smell caramel, more of a salty caramel. I guess you could say I like the smell of salt. The opening of fruits is borderline sour, but the salt or something or other eases the blow, and must stop the headache because I felt one coming on shortly after spraying this-but it subsided before it amounted to anything. Whew!

The drydown is like the rest of this, but a lighter version of the strawberry mixed with patchouli and musk, more musk. I can't get over that I'm still smelling strawberries so late in the game. When will it wear off? Not that I'm in a hurry, just wondering ; )

Now I know what everyone is squawking about. They have good reason to, this stuff is different, dare I say masterpiece? So it's fruity, a chypre fruity but it's got an edge. Not your typical pink candy fruit crap juice. Not the usual fragrance I'd go for, but it's so different when I full bottle comes my way I'm going for it.

Hats off to the nose behind this, Christine Nagel. She's also the nose behind my above mentioned In Black. Why the hell was Miss Dior Cherie reformulated two years later? Or whenever, there's enough versions plus flankers that you have to keep notes to keep track. All I know is that it's the bottle with silver writing on it, not the one with the paper label. Not the taller bottle, that's the EDT. I won't be getting this in a store since the new juice is now named Miss Dior, the 1947 version is Miss Dior Originale or Miss Dior Classic. I'll be too busy trying out the new Diorling anyway, if my Saks will ever get it in the store.

Cherie has left the building. Fast forward to 6 months or a year from now, can you imagine the confusion this will cause on ebay and other places with all the name changing and juice reformulating?

"Dear Ebay Seller,

What perfume is this auction for?  Is it Miss Dior, Miss Dior Cherie or Miss Dior Classic? Is it the 2005, 2007, 2008 or 2011 formulation? Or some other year? Is it EDP or EDT? If you don't know, can you tell me what color is the bow? How tall is the bottle?...."

It will be a mess. I'd better grab me some now!



No comments:

Post a Comment