Thursday, August 25, 2011

Un Bois Vanille: Lay Your Sweetness on Me

♫ ♪ Lay it on me - Lay your sweetness on me - lay it on me - Ooooh Hold me tight I need you lady ♫ ♪





Today I've had the sweetest, most beautiful song ringing in my ears, and an equally sweet scent on my skin, Serge Lutens' Un Bois Vanille. Spent the day working next to the sweetest, uh, oh, a VERY NICE co-worker, we chatted & joked, shared some candy a customer gave me. I became very aware of both of our body language after he touched the back of my chair, then later my back. Yikes. Very sweet, though.  It made the day go faster than the speed of light.

The air around here has begun to have taken on a crispness, them temps have been lingering in the 70's & 80's during the day, cooler at night. Fall is on it's way.  A rich, Oriental like Bois Vanille works well now.


Bois is very sweet, but it's a sophisticated sweetness, or is it the price tag giving it that air of sophistication? To my nose, it's not really a gourmand. Notes are: sandalwood, black licorice and coconut milk. There's something else in there giving it an "edge", cutting the sweetness, something citrus, bergamot maybe? I also smell vanilla, caramel, and chocolate. Yes, later down the road it takes on a nice chocolaty smell, kind of chocolate and a mild coffee, not an acidly, strong coffee like you encounter in Sonya Rykel's  Bell en Rykle, this is a smooth mocha coffee. And a smokey note, like incense. I only get hints of the licorice and sandalwood, It's smells a bit milky, more creamy than milk and less like coconut milk, if that makes any sense.

To sum Bois up: a warm, creamy and sweet comfort scent with an edge. Will go nice with a snugly sweater this fall and winter.

Last January I was in Barney's and testing all the Lutens, Malles and Byredos, there was a pair of SA's who were extremely helpful, let me test anything I wanted, made good suggestions and showered me with samples when I purchased Daim Blond. All Serge Lutens samples, not the Carnal Flower sample I was hoping to score. Anyway, I recall one of the SAs saying he often used Lutens' scents together and showed me an example-Un Bois sprayed on top of another scent, it was something lavender. Together they smelled appealing, but a bit too gourmand for me, it brought to mind these lavender sugar cookies I used to make. Perhaps it was a ploy to get me to buy 2 bottles? I planned on only buying one, and I felt guilty enough spending all that money on one, let alone two. I've been in Barneys twice since and haven't seem either of those two SA's. It's a shame because the other SAs I've encountered  have been un-knowledgeable and unhelpful.

Tomorrow, well technically today, is my day off.  The laundry is all set to go into the washer, all 2 or 3 loads, dishes are washed and the food shopping list has been made out. I was toying with the idea of going out, I don't want to stay home all day! Thinking about hitting Barney's and testing some Muscs Koublai Khan, I feel like being dirty, like smelling something animalistic, earthy and dirty. Hell, I'm dirty already for carrying on with my sweet co-worker. Maybe I'll throw on some Khiel's Musk, stay home and call it a day. Boring, but very affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment