Sunday, November 24, 2013

Imposter Perfumes

I get a kick out of the names of the Lady Gaga imposter perfumes, fakes, whatever you'd call them. "Crazy Lady" takes the cake for names. Can you imagine someone asking what you're wearing and having to give them that answer? If you're truthful.  Or "Monster Lady" which I saw the other day in C.W. Price. (I can't remember where I saw Crazy Lady, it was a while ago.) These imposter Lady Gagas seem to be everywhere fakes are sold,  it must be a popular perfume. The kiddies whose parents can't afford or refuse to buy the genuine Lady G must love it, since it gives them a chance to own something close to what they might not be able to afford otherwise.

Have you ever bought an imposter perfume? I have, waaay back in the day. I recall buying a bottle (or was it a can?) of one of those "If you love CK One, you'll love OK Numero Uno " or whatever it was called. My girlfriend at work wore it and I got turned onto it from her. I also liked the fact that it was unisex, it felt kind of edgy to wear a potentially man's fragrance. Plus it was "It's so clean smelling" we'd say. It was different at the time. Ugh. If we only know we'd all be bombarded by "Clean" over the next 20 years. "Clean" got tiring, boring. At the time I didn't want to pay $50 or more to smell clean.  I also didn't have a lot of disposable income.  I still don't have the disposable income but I find a way to work a Lutens or Guerlain into the budget from time to time.

If I really loved CK one I would have bought the real deal at full retail price. Back then I ponied up few times and paid for an expensive perfume. Guerlain's Mahora was one of them. I got a whiff from a magazine and there was nothing in the world like it, I HAD to have it. I also had to travel all over town to find it! Filene's and Jordan Marsh (or was it Macy's by then?) didn't carry it and they pointed me in the direction of either Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Avenue, where I went and bought it, I think it was around $60-$80, somewhere in that ballpark. They were very generous with the samples when I bought it, I got a few carded samples of probably JPG, which I seemed to get every time I made a purchase, and they also gave me about 3 or 4 minis of Mahora. I had enough Mahora I gave a couple of the minis to my sister in law. (Yeah, I wish I didn't do that now....)

Actually, if you're itching for Lady Gaga perfume and are short on cash, some of the TJ Maxx around here have it @ about $15 for a 1.7 oz. Or you can get the Lady Gaga Singing Toothbrush which is in the "as seen on TV" aisle of Wallgreens.




No comments:

Post a Comment