Monday, February 6, 2012

Mystery Bottle Monday Week 1

Although Monday is over in my time zone, it's not over until I go to bed. Mystery Bottle Monday will be a regular feature since I have a few mystery bottles in my collection. Usually the mystery resolves itself at some point in my research (aka shopping via online & ebay) but I thought it would be fun to post them here until the mysteries are solved.

From out of a group of vintage mini perfumes, here are two unlabeled bottles. The black capped one has Carven on the bottom. Funny, when I was taking the items out of the box and saw this one I thought to myself, Oh, this is the Carven. Then I didn't see any label & couldn't find my lupe to read the bottom of the bottle. Double checked it's description and no mention of Carven. Weird.


Carrying on, this Carven perfume was all by itself  in a small zip lock bag and when I opened that baggie a little burst of something like Fracas escaped. A creamy, deep, heady scent. Gardenia? Tuberose? I'm not sure which gives Fracas (or Carnal Flower) that oomph but this was very much like it. Made me want to douse myself in some. The scent was so strong I didn't have to open the bottle. Until I found my lupe I was beginning to wonder if this was a mini of Fracas. I tried to imagine how a Robert Piguet label would work on this bottle, with it's square flat surface label space on the front, instead of a lengthwise strip of a label. Maybe, depending on it's size a mini version might be labeled different than the rest of the line. Well, one magnified look at the bottom and it's Carven. Can't be Ma Griffe, unless every bottle of EDC and PDT of it I've come across was "off". Robe d'Un Soir is supposedly a chypre, so is Vert et Blanc, I believe. My first guess was Vert et Blanc, since this smelled fairly green and white, more white than green though.


To add to the confusion, this other bottle, this red capped one, which was in it's own baggie, has a similar scent. No label, nothing on the bottom of the bottle. Only tiny, raised dots in the glass near the sides of the bottle, which remind me of a cluster or grapes. Took a dab of what little is in there and that, too smelled Fracas-like.

Now a couple of days later I'm sitting here and dabbing myself with what little is left. As you can see, I can't do any extensive testing with either of these. The juice in both is like syrup, I have to turn the bottle upside down and wait for it to slowly make it's way to the opening. Tonight I noticed a slight camphor note in there, similar to Carnal Flower-from the Carven scent. The red cap scent smelled more floral, flowery than creamy and not as Fracas like as I thought it did the other day. The Carven has more "green" compared to this one. Then again, one dab of scent on each wrist and my nose going at both it's all blending together. And it's getting late. Think I'll spritz a bit of Fracas on and turn in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment