Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The New Normal

The gym, the gym, the gym! We've been going to the gym faithfully 5 times a week since January. Prior to that we were going at least a couple of times a week, 3 or 4 or more. I used to hate it but you get used to it to the point where I don't know what to do with myself if I don't go. You see all the same people there, get into a routine, watch the same shows on the TV while on the bike. I like Everybody Loves Raymond and Seinfeld, but we're usually there earlier and I get stuck watching Friends. Right now I do the treadmill for 1/2 hour, then the bike for at least 15 minutes (ideally I do 1/2 hour on that if I have time) then do  some weights. Lately I've been bringing headphones and listening to music while on the treadmill, the music puts a spring in my step and makes me work harder.

I find that I have to continue to challenge myself physically or else it doesn't do me any good. On the flipside I can't challenge myself too much or else my heart rate will go up and I'm terrified of my ICD firing because of it. It's a balancing act. It would be nice if I could lose some weight with all this excersizing I'm doing but I'm not losing much, about 10 pounds (in 6 months, OMG give me a break, please) and I'm up and down with 2 pounds of it. It's the medication I'm on, it slows the heart rate and metabolism. I can't win. Not yet, I keep hoping.

Pizza Monday.
We go to Planet Fitness. They have Pizza Monday the first Monday of the month. I'll have a slice or two, won't eat the crusts and I stash those in my pocket & bring them home for the babies. The fur babies. Hubby will eat a few pieces of pizza, he loves it and tries to sneak some out for later. I think of it as a day off from cooking.

And the eating, no salt, I try to avoid saturated fat, sugars. I gave up sweets in favor of Vitatops 100 calorie muffin tops, Dole dark chocolate covered fruit, some low sugar yougurts, sugar free pudding, there are a lot of not so bad for you options if you look. I also gave up coffee,  somewhat. I totally gave up Dunkin Donuts coffee, it's too acidy. I do have 1 or 2 Starbucks Frappachinos or Honey Dew Mocha Madness frozen a week, I get a medium, drink 1/2 and save the rest for another day. Sometimes I drink 1/2 and cut the leftovers with almond milk. Yup, I gave up milk, too.
I also had to go on Victoza because before giving up all this sugar shit, my sugar levels were beginning to rise. If I could lose some of this dammed weight they'd probably lower themselves.

I gave up pork. I read some things, saw some photos of pigs and they struck me as being like dogs and I can't eat any animal that's like a pet. I'm better off without it and I really don't miss it. (it wasn't easy though over the Easter holiday and while visiting my in-laws, they put pork in everything, but I did it).

Chips and fast food are not really a problem for me. I'm still loving Triscuits. I now eat the ones with a hint of salt. I'd rather have triscuits than chips. Low salt kettle corn is good, too-as long as I don't eat the whole bag. Fast food, well, it's good when I don't want to cook. I try to get salad instead of burgers and shit. Notice I wrote "try", it's cause I don't always go for the salad, I screw up sometimes.

Trying to give up soda completely. I really don't drink much but one is too much. Hubby was bringing home these little cans of ginger ale from his work which go great with dinner but even though they're small they pack a lot of sugar. He's been bringing them home less often now since I said stop.

We also have quinoa (love it, have to stop myself from eating a mountain of it) and soup, meatless Mondays where I make rice and beans or something not involving meat.

It's all about making choices, healthy ones. I try to. I have to. And today I screwed up royally with the Pizza Monday. Oh well, I'll be on the ball for the rest of the week and longer. I've set some weight goals and keep them in mind when eating and excersizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment