Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hot Fun in the Summertime

Ok, so it's not "Hot Fun in the Summertime", but the video is stunning and very summery. Couldn't find any summer themed videos for "Hot Fun".

It's the middle of July and things are finally heating up around here. Finally. I love the heat, love heatwaves, long hot days and even longer hot nights. I love it when it's so hot out and everyone scurries from one air-conditioned place to another.Nobody pushes you to do anything or rush with things because of the heat, you just go along at your own pace. Finishing work for the day, picking up dinner on the way home (because it's too hot to cook) and relaxing in the somewhat cool house for the night. We have air conditioners in the bedroom and one in the room next to the kitchen, both make the heat liveable. Icy cold beer, wine coolers and iced coffee & tea. Capris, shorts & tank tops. Throwing those on along with a pair of sandals and calling yourself dressed.

Soooooo, what do you do for fragrance in the summer? I'm finding that some things fade very quickly. Others seem to "heat up" on my skin and amplify, sometimes making them become too heavy. Like Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant,  Thierry Mugler's Angel and Mitsouko to name a few.  Last week I dabbed on some Shalimar extrait and I could feel a cloud of it following me around. People looked at me, I do dress a bit odd so I don't know if it was the Shalimar or my attire.

In the heat and in heavy rotation now:

Jil Sander's Sun. Pure yummyness, it's almost drinkable. Lots of sunshine, crisp citrus, oranges, dewy fruits (I smell raspberries) with a dry down of amber and vanilla. It's a delight to wear this. Happiness in a bottle.

Thierry Mugler* Alien which is on the heavy side for hot weather, but just a small spritz will adorn you in smooth jasmine creaminess all day into the night.
Alien Eau Luminescente and a Sunessence-have to check the box to figure out which one. The Alien flankers smell like sunshine to me.
Womanity. A unique & different scent, fresh, (no fish) and salty. Makes my skin smell like I've been swimming in the ocean. I own a mini and a mini body lotion, I think the lotion smells better than the perfume, it smells creamier and less tart, both wear well together.

Guerlain's Chamade which I didn't care for at first, I had a bottle of the current formulation which I sold. Picked up about an ounce of the vintage EDT (in one of those deftware canisters) and although it's similar to the current, it blows the new formulation out of the water. Vintage Chamade is all dewy galbanum,  hiacynth, dew drops on roses,  it's green and sweet, it's bright and strong. It's much more deeper & richer, the current smelled flat, it lacked oomph.
 Mahora  ohhh, a little something I've had for years. Literally. All I have left is maybe 5ml plus a mini.  I bought a bottle when it was first released, back in 2000, the summer to be exact. It got me off my Gucci Rush addiction, which I had been wearing since the year before. I drowned myself in Mahroa that summer, it's kind of tropical in a perfumey way but without any coconut or fruits. Loaded with tuberose, ylang ylang, jasmine, a bit o' vanilla, sandalwood, it's exotic. I am revisiting (what I have left of) this perfume this summer, 11 years later.  I don't have much luck with applying Mahora. The nozzle on my full bottle broke off, I extracted the remains out with a syringe and into a  new & functional atomizer. At least then it was, I went to spritz myself with it the other day and the nozzle stuck!  I dabbed it on.

So we have Mayonette in place of Mahora now. Same stuff supposedly, but I've seen different note listings. Have yet to try a side-by-side test of the two.

Diesel Zero Plus Feminine. I love the Milk Feminine, Milk Plus Feminine? Plus Plus? What's it called? Cute and quirky in the milk carton. The Zero in the red grenade is not as fabulous as the milk. I get a lot of pineapple and lightness out of the zero, all the other notes meld into the pineapple (with a hint of coconut) and make it one linear smell. Interesting. A perfumed Pina Colada. I like it, but I don't love it. And it's one of the ones that I just sweat right off in a couple of hours or less.

Jean Patou's Eau de Patou. An oldie but goodie if you can find it. Light, bright, fresh and pineapple again. Refreshing. Citrusy, fruity, but ends on a deep note of  amber, moss and civet. Have only worn it once or twice so far, I am impressed but haven't made a final decision on this one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment